Beats are a type of recording that’s typically an instrumental and provides the backing track or structure to your song. Although these beats can provide the perfect accompaniment to your verses and chorus it’s important that you have the right licensing permissions in order to distribute your release digitally.
In order to get everything cleared for release you will need to obtain a license that covers the below:
- The license must be made out to you, the licensee.
- The license contains the name of the beat.
- Confirmation that the beat does not contain any third-party samples or other third party material or that if it does, that they have been cleared by the licensor (the beat producer).
- Confirmation that the beat producer (licensor) controls all rights in the beat (that includes both the copyright in the composition and the sound recording).
- The license needs to be valid for more than a year as the distribution agreement between Spinnup and you, the user is for at least 1 year.
- Confirmation that the licensor is providing you (the licensee) with a license (in respect of both the sound recording and composition) allowing for commercial exploitation of your new track containing the beat across all digital platforms.
Other important information
Limits on downloads/streams:
Most beat licenses typically cap the number of downloads and/or streams of your new track covered under the license. Please make sure that the license allows sufficient use of your track and that you monitor usage to ensure you obtain a new license before the caps are exceeded. If the usage caps are too low you may have to obtain a new license that allows for a higher number.
Third party samples (in the beat):
If your license states that ‘Sample clearance is the responsibility of the licensee’ this is very important. This means that you need to obtain additional confirmation from the beat producer as to whether any third party samples were used. If none were used – great! If samples were used – don’t panic! All you have to do is ask the beat producer which samples they used, and then you will have to contact the owner of the rights in the sample to clear them for use in the beat.
- If you create a release using beats, please select this option in the upload process when asked how your tracks were created. You will need to ensure that you have obtained a license containing the above content before you submit your release, as it is your responsibility to make sure you are sufficiently covered.