No, your music is copyrighted the moment you create it but for extra protection you may wish to register your songs for copyright before they are released. This can be done with numerous websites on the internet for a fee. You will need to find a legitimate website that offers this service, upload your songs, enter your details and pay a fee. Please bear in mind that registering for copyright protection is not the same as registering your recordings or songs with a collective rights society.
Articles in this section
- What is a Performing Rights Organisation?
- What is a Copyright Collection Society and why should I join one?
- How do I ask for permission to use copyrights or trademarked content in my release's artwork?
- How do I ask for permission to use, amend or release another artist's original music?
- Do I need to own the copyright to the recording I want to sell?
- Do I need to register copyright for my music before distributing it?