Read our expert guide on how to get onto Spotify playlists, including how to submit music to Spotify playlists. Discover our tips and get your music heard.
Getting your music onto a Spotify playlist is a sure-fire way to promote your music and earn new fans and followers. But how do you get onto a Spotify playlist? Thankfully it’s no longer as difficult as knowing someone at Spotify, or even better, an actual Spotify playlist curator – you can pitch tracks yourself to Spotify Editors from within your Spotify For Artists account.
How to Create a Spotify Artist Profile
To submit your music to Spotify you first need to have claimed your Spotify For Artists profile. To create a Spotify For Artists profile you need at least one release live on the platform. If you have this then do this all you need to do is go to the Spotify For Artists site, search for your artist name and follow the prompts. Once you have submitted your application the Spotify team will review and get back to you in a few days.
We have a whole guide on Spotify For Artists including what you can do with your artist profile and how to edit it, plus an article on Spotify artist verification.
How to use Spotify’s artist playlist submission tool to get on Spotify playlists
- Log into your Spotify For Artists account, remember you’ll need to have at least one release that is live or in a pre-release state
- Choose a track to submit to Spotify Playlist Editors in the hopes of getting featured on a Spotify playlist
- Next to each release title in your account you will see a green ‘submit a song’ link
- Simply click that and follow the step-by-step process:
- Entering your hometown & current location (if this is different)
- Selecting your genre & music’s culture
- Describing the mood & style of your song
- Choosing the instruments used in the song
- Telling Spotify if your song is a cover, remix, or instrumental, the language of the lyrics and how it was recorded
- The next step will give you the opportunity to describe how you created the song, what plans you have for the release plan, any exciting upcoming promo events or tour dates
- Finally, check all your information and submit!
We’ve got an entire blog article on how to submit your music to Spotify playlists using the pitching tool for more advice.
How to get onto other (non-Spotify curated) playlists
While Spotify owned playlists are the crème de la crème of playlists, there are thousands of other playlists by curators out there that you should definitely be trying to get your music on.
Take a look at the playlists you already follow and do a search for others that would be appropriate for your sound. Find the curator's name and do a search for them online to see if you can find an email address or social media account for them. Don't be disheartened if you can't always find the playlist owner online, it's not an easy task!
When you contact the playlist curator, make sure you are friendly and professional, and include a note about yourself and your music, and why it would be a good fit for their playlist.