Social media is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to promote yourself and your music online. Most of us use social media day to day in our personal lives, but using it as a marketing tool requires a bit more organisation. To effectively promote yourself on social media, you should:
- Have accounts on all social media relevant to you. That's mainly Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. If you think you will use other services like Snapchat, YouTube and Google Plus then you should definitely make the most of it. But there's nothing worse than finding an artist's social media account that hasn't been updated for 2 years. Go for quality over quantity
- Make sure all your profiles are consistent with your brand, with the same usernames (if you can manage it) and the same imagery or 'look', which will help people find you across all your social channels
- Keep your accounts up to date with current information and images
- Post regularly! You can use a tool like Hootsuite (which is free) to schedule and post updates across all your social media in advance, which helps to be more organised
- Make it personal by posting photos of yourself working on new music or doing things socially from time to time. Fans want to know who you are as well as your music
- Use all the content you have at your fingertips: new music, release artwork, videos, blog posts about your songs, press shots of you, playlists from your Spotify artist page
- Don't forget your artist pages on Spotify, Apple Music Connect, Deezer4Artists etc. These are just as important as your social pages and will let people discover your music more easily.
For more tips on social media and marketing for artists, head to the Spinnup blog.